If you’re moving to the EU, you’ll be glad to hear you don’t have to do anything. Your existing licence will be valid so you won’t need to get it changed to drive legally on the roads there.

The rules, of course, differ from country to country outside of the EU, so it’ll be a matter of doing some research to find out what you’ll need to get sorted. The AA has a handy list of driving rules for each country.

In many places you’ll need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) so that you can legally drive. You must apply for and receive one three months before you leave for your new home. You can get an International Driving Permit from the AA, the RAC and the Post Office.

To get one, you’ll need to already have a full UK driving licence and be a permanent resident of the UK. They last for 12 months, giving you enough time to get a new licence in your country of residence. It is also imperative that you research the local driving laws too.

You’ll most likely know the side of the road that other countries drive on, but some places also require you to keep certain items in your car. In France for example, you need to have things like a reflective jacket and headlamp beam deflectors.

In many countries you will need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive legally. You should apply for and receive one an IDP three months before you leave for your new home.

A list of things to consider when driving abroad:

  • If you’re moving within the EU you can use your existing licence.
  • The International Driving Permit (IDP) allows you to drive legally on your UK licence for 12 months but there are different rules depending on the country youre driving in.
  • You must apply for an IDP before you leave.
  • Some places require residents to apply for a full driving license soon after arriving.
  • In countries that don’t recognise the IDP you will need to get a driving licence before driving.
  • It’s also worth noting that alcohol blood limits vary from country to country and so what you might be able to drink in the UK might put you over the limit elsewhere. As always, the best option is to not drink at all before driving.

Sending Money Abroad? Request a Quote

Get a Quote


Read more articles